Tips for trips
Tuscany and Umbria stand symbolic for the desire for la Bella Italia. They are both beautiful, medieval regions where a lot of historical heritage has been preserved.
Hereby a selection of all the beauty that this region offers in the vicinity of this holiday residence Palazzuolo Due.
• Discover the picturesque hilltop towns CORTONA, MONTEPULCIANO, PIENZA and MONTALCINO.
Become enthusiastic of their charm and the hospitality of their people.
Especially remarkable are CIVITÀ di BAGNOREGIO, PANICALE, PACIANO and SPELLO classified as i borghi più belli d’Italia.
• Visit the artistic and historic cities SIENA, PERUGIA, FIRENZE, AREZZO and ORVIETO with their palazzi and Duomo.
Drink a caffè on a terrace, eat a gelato and walk around in their totally intact medieval centres with their car-free Piazza Grande.
Reachable within one hour.
• Explore the unique and enchanting landscape, intersected by rows of cypresses and vineyards. Make an early start and abandon the main roads.
The highly elevated dead volcano MONTE AMIATA (1.738 m) takes a dominant position in the surrounding landscape.
Admire the panoramic views over the VAL DI CHIANA and VAL D'ORCIA valley, which figures on the world heritage list of Unesco.
Drive towards Siena through the scenic winding of the inhospitable CRETE SENESI. Fascinating but desolate, those ridges of clay with
deep eroded ravines and craters. In the middle of the Crete you can visit the ABBAZIA di MONTE OLIVETO MAGGIORE, where the frescoes of the
16th century show the live of Saint Benedictus. A masterwork.
• Taste the typical regional delicacies like the meat (Chianina beef/Cinta Senese pork), lots of fish from the Lago Trasimeno, the olive oil and the
truffles. Eat the regional pici - pasta, porcini – boletus, ceci – peas, Pecorino cheese from Pienza, the dolci – sweets from Siena, the Vinsanto from
our opposite neighbour winery Avignonesi with cantucci – almond biscuits.
La cucina Italiana in local restaurants 'Villa Nottola' , ' I Capricci di Merion' , 'Corte dei Papi' - a gastronomic experience .
Fatta alla casa – home-made, fresh, tasty and affordable.
• Taste the excellent local wines (Vino Nobile di Montepulciano/ Brunello di Montalcino). The wine road 'Strada del Vino Nobile di Montepulciano'
passes along Palazzuolo Due. Within walking distance are several wine domains : our opposite neighbour Avignonesi, Angelini, Tenuta Tre Rose,
Palazzo Vecchio and Lunadoro. Towards Montepulciano you pass Poliziano, Valdipiatta, Nottola and Fattoria del Cerro.
The Museo del Vino in the picturesque TORGIANO is certainly worth a visit.
• Sportsmen will be enraptured by the LAGO TRASIMENO : water recreation, mountainbike, Vespa rental (Umbria in Vespa) and
ferry connections to the islands. Golfclub with 9 holes at 20 km in Valdichiana. Wild water rafting and canoeing is possible at the
Cascade delle Marmore waterfall near TERNI.
In winter you can ski on the MONTE AMIATA, which is the highest point in the south of Tuscany.
Why not jog or make circular walks starting at the apartment?
• Folkloric processions with figures in historic costumes, exciting jousting, equestrian and archery competitions revive each year the glorious past
of the Middle Ages and Renaissance and the rivalry between the town districts like the Palio di Siena and the Bravio delle Botti in Montepulciano.